Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 5 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NukeOffline
Post subject: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 17, 2006 - 11:00 PM
Enlistee

ive been working on this model lately and i was curious if you wanted it for the mod when its done. its non-cannon but it looks pretty cool Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 01:27 AM
Site Admin

It's a nice-looking model; I've been trying to think of what should be the next "big" feature to implement in the code, and selectable ship models is one of the options.

For the model to "make sense" in IC, though, you'll have to move the miniguns. IC's minigun fires from a single central port, not twin outriggers.

On another note, the fact that your laser cannons are in a different place from those of our Pyro GX will also mean that a player in your ship will have different fire patterns for the Lasers, Plasma, Autocannon, Fusion, etc... This isn't necessarily bad, but it is something to be aware of. At some point in the future, we may add vWep support, meaning that the guns hanging off the wings will be the actual guns currently equipped by the player (at that point in IC development, things like the minigun model would actually spin during firing).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
vertigo-oneOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 05:03 AM
CED Captain

i always figured that the guns in the pyro were implemented into the ship and when fired were split somehow amung the 4 cannons.. not that there were actually 4 different weapons located in place of each cannon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
NukeOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 01:00 PM
Enlistee

descent gun placement never really made sence. besides the fact it could carry a warehouse full of ordinance and still fit in my living room. i actually find it rather amusing to think about.

anyway my original plan was to make a cannon pyro gx and then convert it for use in freespace 2 scp. then i realised my dimentions were way off. at that point, rather than go with an old skool design, id make a next gen pyro, still keeping fs2 in mind. such a mod would become a rarely used oddity under freespace. thought about maybe just release it as a model and give it to the descent community. then i learned about into cerberon, played the demo 002 version and i thought it was pretty cool.

the model is still a wip. i havent started projecting uvs so geometry changes are still an option. the guns are still fairly easy to move about. im more concerned about the rocket and missile racks. if the vwep system calls for a full launcher then they would need to be pulled. but if instead i could just load the missiles into the tubes that would look pretty cool.

Leo.ZappaOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 02:06 PM
Enlistee

the model is really nice! but.. isn't it too similar to the pyro gx?

NukeOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 04:21 PM
Enlistee

its a next gen pyro. more streamlined and aparently more heavily armed. its wings are too long and its tails too low to be a gx. the ship is essentially wider and shorter and about the same length.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: pyro ix  PostPosted: Oct 18, 2006 - 09:38 PM
Site Admin

"Pyro Type R"

Haaaaaaaaaaaaachi-roku!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 04:42 PM
IC Team

Nuke, you have to totally revisit your model because:
1)(if it does not,) it HAS to fit the GX dimensions, we already discussed and confirmed this and all our two wip ships have been built according to this constraint.

2) Unfortunately, I can't spot any noticeable difference from the Gx. Same side vents, rounded cockpit, rounded nose, different wing angles... Nothing that will prevent the descent fan to say: "no news here"... and I think no one wants this to happen.

= try to think and apply a totally new revision of the gx, e.g. reverse the wing angles, change the nose profile while keeping it sharp, join the cockpit with the engine group, split the wing tips into two branches, etc..

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 07:54 PM
Site Admin

I also would prefer that our ship selection consist mostly of different ships, but on the other hand, I think so long as a ship looks good and conforms to the IC requirements (size, shape, weapon placements, etc), even if it looks extremely similar to one of our existing ships, we could include it. It never hurts the player's experience to give them alternatives.

NukeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 08:15 PM
Enlistee

i had planed to make a pyro gx, but as i had studied the design more i noticed i was way off. so instead of mess up an otherwise good model, id tweak the design abit. theres enough difference for it not to be a gx. when you compair the gl with the gx, you notice that there isnt much difference there either. so i broke down the naming convention on the ship. sence both the gx and gl are pyros then i decided pyro would be a make, sorta like hummer (which is what the pyro gx remonds me of). you could think of the g as the model type. g most likely stands for general purpose. so instead i choose i for interceptor. because the ship is streamlined for speed. then the x would be a model. the x and l are both models of general purpose fighters. so using hte hummer analogy, think of the gl as like an h2 and the ix as sort of a h3. same basic outline with only minor differences.

you seem to have alot of good models already. no point in being redundant. i like the model as it is, i dont think il change it. its no big deal if it doesnt fit in to into cerberon. you guys are doing an awesome job without my help. i didnt design this ship with into cerberon in mind and perhaps its better that it not be used. i might in the future however make a ship just for this mod. i can research stuff like acceptable dimentions and where to put the gun hardpoints from the internal. and if i got some free time to burn, i could maybe throw another ship together for yea.

SpectreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 09:04 PM
IC Team

Nuke wrote:
i had planed to make a pyro gx, but as i had studied the design more i noticed i was way off. so instead of mess up an otherwise good model, id tweak the design abit. theres enough difference for it not to be a gx. when you compair the gl with the gx, you notice that there isnt much difference there either. so i broke down the naming convention on the ship. sence both the gx and gl are pyros then i decided pyro would be a make, sorta like hummer (which is what the pyro gx remonds me of). you could think of the g as the model type. g most likely stands for general purpose. so instead i choose i for interceptor. because the ship is streamlined for speed. then the x would be a model. the x and l are both models of general purpose fighters. so using hte hummer analogy, think of the gl as like an h2 and the ix as sort of a h3. same basic outline with only minor differences.

you seem to have alot of good models already. no point in being redundant. i like the model as it is, i dont think il change it. its no big deal if it doesnt fit in to into cerberon. you guys are doing an awesome job without my help. i didnt design this ship with into cerberon in mind and perhaps its better that it not be used. i might in the future however make a ship just for this mod. i can research stuff like acceptable dimentions and where to put the gun hardpoints from the internal. and if i got some free time to burn, i could maybe throw another ship together for yea.

Since the IC team is such an "open" team, there's no reason not to make your model fit for the mod. You will gain experience, a lot of people will be able to see your work and you are free for update/refine your models

NukeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2006 - 10:12 PM
Enlistee

well i can see what i can do with it. link me some specs on gun placement and size. and what can and cant be done under the doom 3 engine. mind you i havent modded an id game sence quake 2. i work under max 8 and photoshop 7. im fairly good at textures. if youre intrested ins some of my work, check out my freespace 2 scp mod:

forum: http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43
pay close attention to the screenshots thread. heres also some descetn related stuff (see thread: oh no, not another side project)
some ships: http://www.game-warden.com/nukemod-cos/
theres a lot more stuff in the mod i havent taken screenies of yet.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 20, 2006 - 03:20 AM
IC Team

I'm sure Iceheart can help implement the model. I think it looks cool and with a little tweaking might make a good phoenix style ship. I like your shiny space pirates (Y'AAAR) too. We could use help with textures for sure, and the more models/ships the better!

NukeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 12:51 AM
Enlistee

i used to know an iceheart, he textured my first model, i wonder if yours is the same one.

iceheartOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 22, 2006 - 11:14 AM
IC Team

If you mean painting a skin texture, then that's extremely unlikely, I suck at it and wouldn't volunteer to do it unless there were very special circumstances Smile.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
DigitalNapalmOffline
Post subject: New/different ship?  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2008 - 09:45 AM
Ground-pounder

Nuke wrote:

Ship idea...

Start with Nuke's Pyro Interceptor. (or Any Pyro...)
- Flatten the wing angles about halfway, and make the tails simpler, like on the F22 Raptor fighter jet.
- Move the tails so they are directly against the engine ports.
- Make the engines more elliptical (?) Or even football-shaped (?)
- Move the twin minis to the underside of the fuselage, just inside the "neck" with the minis even with the end of the nose.
- Move the laser cannons to the ends of the wing in an over-under-stacked fashion. (kinda like an x-wing when its wings are closed)
-Port lights into the sides of the nose just behind the front end of the dark gray field on the top side.

Since its a different ship, it would have its own set of parameters for gun location, right? Has the selectable-ship code been implemented yet?

I've never modeled before, someone with some experience could maybe (re)model it? Nuke?

Jump to: