Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Gallery :: FAQ   

There are 1 unlogged user and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Moddb

Vote for us on the moddb Doom3 Top 100!

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 - 08:08 AM
IC Team

It would be kinda awesome if we could regroup and polish this off for a final release. Now that the source is released maybe we could fix some of the nagging bugs and make things more playable. I think there still is a Tech 4 modding community out there, so we could put a call out for help.

I fired up Vortex just now and see there are 26 people playing Descent 3 online. A ten year old game. There's another 30 playing Descent 1 and 2. It would feel good to give them something new to play. We've come so close, and as far as I'm concerned did a kick ass job, it would be sad to see it not be at least playable for 6 player multi-player.

Also, I want to change the fucking theme song. As Ice said..."it makes me want to kick babies".

Anyone interested? I'll send out some emails as well.
cheers
Narfig_Agar

Reply with quote Back to top
SpectreOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: Apr 27, 2012 - 01:39 PM
IC Team

Yes, you're right, but so much time has passed, the last thing i remember is that Hexetic retired for a while for personal business, and then all went silence.
It's not a bad idea, for me, but i think there's always much more than some fixing to do.
THe last release, i have to admit, really moved me, seeing all the lava and the weapons floating, the laser lights.. was just becoming what we wanted to do and i know this game could really shake the gamer community
But i know also well that there's no team which can really work on distance. THere are always this kind of problems, disappearings, confusion, jobs not carried with enough steadiness (and yes i am included).
So i don't know.. i would like to hear the word of Hexetic Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 04:43 AM
Site Admin

Possibly I can make time for this in the summer. Being married with a house (and mortgage) has certainly put a dent in my free time, but on the other hand having the mortgage has put a dent in my ability to go out on trips etc., ha ha. When the wife is off work (she's a school teacher) it's a lot easier for me to relax because she can take care of so many things during the day.

I still daydream about what IC might have been, now and again. I can hear in my head a killer remix of the original Descent intro music but I don't have the experience, and probably not the talent, to do that.

We should try to find out if anyone has modded the Doom 3 engine code in ways that we might want to use, such as increasing the lighting distance, adding joystick support, enhanced graphics, etc. I can also put the IC source code up somewhere so that others can participate if they want to.

If I recall one of our big headaches was the map editing tools. In particular, our choice of scale ("ships are big") made things tough; have map making tools improved at all? Mapping and modelling are two fields of which I am fairly ignorant.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: Apr 28, 2012 - 06:55 AM
IC Team

Just cruising around http://www.doom3world.org/ it appears folks have been hard at work on the source since it became public. Looks like there are graphics and netcode enhancements as well as joystick code. This is one of the things that gave me hope. There are a bunch of new folks who want to play with the code, and I think that's where we got stuck last time.

The scale choice certainly made the engine work hard, but maybe after all this time modern PC's will have no problem running things. I think our performance problems were more netcode based than graphics based.

I'd be happy with a polished, playable version of what we have now. I'm happy to go on a recruitment drive to see who we can get interested. It is a pretty mature mod as it sits (lol we're getting old!) so it's a great opportunity for folks to get involved and know that their work will come to some sort of fruition. Looks good on the demo reel too.

I'd like to hear from Iceheart.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 03, 2012 - 08:19 AM
IC Team

Ok, so no Ice. Sad Do we still have all the assets backed up? It seems I have nothing except audio and old links don't work.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 03, 2012 - 08:49 AM
Site Admin

Old links? His FTP site you mean?

I still have everything needed to build the PAK files, the source code and the art assets both. I also have a number of assorted ZIP files.

Wasn't I running the FTP server for a while? I thought I transferred that shit but maybe I forgot because the last host chmodoplusr.com was on booted us off rather unceremoniously probably due to forum search spam slowing the place down.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 03, 2012 - 08:50 AM
Site Admin

I should probably shove everything on a dropbox or google drive so we can go through it.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 04, 2012 - 08:53 AM
IC Team

That would be awesome. Things are pretty well documented here (thank you Hex, you're awesome) so if folks want to help, I expect they can get up to speed pretty quick. If we need, I have space @thewintermarket.com that I'm not using if need be.

Cheers!

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 05, 2012 - 01:28 AM
Site Admin

The only tricky thing is the version control system I used. GNU Arch is a good idea but some aspects are very silly (namely, very very long path names that break Windows support). I really ought to try to convert the source tree to Bazaar, which I understand is much simpler.

I can at least put the latest-n-greatest up, and the forums threads here have the changelogs so that's a start.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 14, 2012 - 10:53 PM
IC Team

Any progress getting some stuff up. I'd like to check out the latest internal release. I know it's a PITA finding 5 year old back ups.

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 07:29 PM
IC Team

Hey Hex, can you turn registration back on for the forums? I think we've got incoming.

Thanks
Sorry, because Into Cerberon is currently on a long hiatus, new user registration is disabled at this time to protect against the inevitable hordes of spambots that constantly harass the gates. If you have something to communicate to the IC team, please contact team lead HeXetic at hexetic [at] gmail [dot] com.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 07:32 PM
Site Admin

OK, I re-enabled registration. I'm sure the site is insecure as hell given how old the versions of phpBB and PostNuke are. Not to mention, I think the last time I switched webhosts was after I'd turned everything off. So there are probably some bad configs here and there.

Maybe I can get to it this weekend while my wife is busy marking (she's a teacher).

Narfig_AgarOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone around? Anyone up for one last release?  PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 09:08 PM
IC Team

Thanks Hex!

NoMercyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 10:43 PM
Ground-pounder

Hello guys, sorry I mis-placed my old password and it never sent me a recovery e-mail. Anyways...

I am still around, I've been busy working on an indie game with some college buddies which we plan on selling and some freelance things here and there. However, I should still have time to help out with this mod. I've also grown up a bit now and have learned quite a bit in the digital art department. I'm actually about to begin construction on a new map.

Let's get this show on the road there is a lot of potential still with this mod as I am sure you are aware. Do we still have an IRC?

Also, can this account be given access to the private forums (assuming you still want me in the team lol)

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 25, 2012 - 10:54 PM
Site Admin

OK, I added your new account to the IC Team group. But I could reset the password for your existing account and just email it to you if you want.

The site email not working is another thing I have to fix with this website...

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 07:36 PM
Site Admin

OK, I checked the site email system and got it working. It looks like you originally signed up with a Rogers.com email and that doesn't exist any more, ha ha.

For some annoying reason bounces go to a system email address that I can't retrieve remotely. Hopefully a .forward will work so I can start actually getting those.

HeXeticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 27, 2012 - 07:59 PM
Site Admin

I'm presently reinstalling Cygwin, which is what I used before to run GNU Arch (tla) as the version control system. If I reimport into Bazaar (a rewritten/revised version of GNU Arch) then everything can be dumped on a public open-source website like Sourceforge or Launchpad.

I haven't used Bazaar before, though, so bear with me. At my office we still use GNU Arch since it's perfectly fine on Linux/Unix machines.

kev11106Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2012 - 02:14 AM
Ground-pounder

Ok guys, that was May...
Now what?

P.S. - If you all do get this back up and running, would it take the Wulfen texture pack(http://www.moddb.com/mods/wulfen-texture-pack/addons/wulfen-texture-pack-201)?

Chicken1337Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 07, 2013 - 07:14 PM
Ground-pounder

Just found this. Wow. I'm doing a Descent mod (hopefully) in the Quake 3 engine for school this year. Nothing fancy. I find this mod's lack of publicity disturbing, it looks really promising.

Jump to: